Thursday, November 07, 2002

Amidst a Dumber Knight�s Dream?
(This article contains fact, opinion, mere speculation and an apology to Shakespeare!)

Fact: The following advertisement appeared in our local weekly flier on November 6, 2002, the day after the election:

�TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN�
BEFORE YOU SEND A LETTER OF OPINION BE SURE YOU HAVE ALL THE FACTS. ONE PERSON CANNOT CHANGE THE WORLD AND NEITHER DID YOU CHANGE OURS. WE DID NOT APPRECIATE BEING SINGLED OUT. ONLY A COWARD WOULD REMAIN ANONYMOUS.
-A LOYAL CATHOLIC DEMOCRAT

(Yes, I swear this part a fact. Somebody placed an anonymous ad stating, �only a coward would remain anonymous.� Attention, Jay Leno!) After my nearly incontinent laughter subsided, I began to wonder what prompted this diatribe. I think I may have figured it out. For a clue to the answer, read my previous Blog message of October 20th.

Speculation: My Hunch is that the ad was placed by one of the three blind Knights mentioned in the previous article.

Fact: A member of our church is inclined to send an occasional anonymous letter. I recently saw one that had been sent to a parish secretary.

Speculation: Said anonymous letter writer made the same observation I did, and used her (yes, I believe it�s a woman) modus operandi to scold said Knight. This Knight has a temper like another Knight named Bobby, and just couldn�t let it go. Instead of tossing an anonymous letter, as any sensible person would do, he had to fire back in anger.

Opinion: Even when you feel it necessary to respond to a personal attack, stop. Take a few deep breaths. Write down your response and sleep on it. Next day, read it again. If you don�t want to soften it some, sleep on it another night. Discuss it with someone you admire for their level-headedness. If you still want to send it after all that, sign your name and do it.

Fact: I disdain people who write anonymous letters. I also disdain hypocrites. A question worth pondering is, which is the greater sin: to allow a hypocrite to go unchallenged or to challenge him from the darkness? If my speculations are correct, I�m glad the letter was sent. One person can change the world.

No comments: